Even if you are new to the cooking world, you need to know how to make a basic shortcrust pastry. It’s quick to make, consists of just a few ingredients and can be multipurpose.
Here’s how I make basic shortcrust pastry.
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour,
- 1/4 teaspoon salt,
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, diced,
- 6 tablespoons water.
And here are the steps you need to take to make the pastry:
- Step 1: Combine flour and salt, and mix them together.
- Step 2: Cut the cold butter into pieces and add it to the flour and salt. Mix them together to get the butter to be the size of peas.
- Step 3: Add water and use a spatula to help the ingredients combine together.
- Step 4: Cover the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate the mixture for about 30 minutes or so.
And that’s it! All that is left to do is, once the dough is ready, to take it out of the fridge, put flour on the work surface, split it in half, roll out the dough, and use it as a crust on the bottom and top of your pie plate.
Easy peasy! And so yummy!