Interested in making homemade fluffy, yet stiff bagels with only a few basic ingredients?
No problem, I got you. Here are the ingredients you’ll need to:
- 350ml warm water,
- 2 and 3/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast,
- 450g bread flour, and just a bit more for your hands and work surface,
- 1 tablespoon of sugar*,
- 2 teaspoons salt,
- 1 tablespoon olive oil**,
- 50g honey or maple syrup.
And here are the steps you need to take to make them:
- Whisk the warm water and yeast together in the bowl. In needs to sit for 5 minutes before you move onto the next step.
- Add the flour, sugar, and just a pinch of salt. Mix all the ingredients.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- Grease a large bowl with oil, and place the dough. Once set, cover it with aluminum foil and let it sit until the dough doubles its size. From my experience, it usually takes a bit over an hour for the dough to double.
- Once the dough is ready, shape it in the form of several bagels.
- Once the bagels are shaped, put them in a pot with a half of water mixed with honey.
*I would suggest you use dark brown sugar, as it adds a bit more flavor than the white one.